Covered California will not be extending its deadline for sign-ups, despite the White House announcement — the California deadline is March 31, Monday.
“If you haven’t applied yet, do it now,” said Covered California Executive Director Peter V. Lee. “We are concerned that high numbers of people will come to our doors at the last minute and won’t be able to get enrolled in time. If that happens, consumers face a penalty for not getting insurance, and they may miss out on the peace of mind that comes with coverage.”
Individuals who start an online application by 11:59 p.m. on March 31, 2014, will have until 11:59 p.m. on April 15, 2014, to complete their application and select a plan.
To start an application, the consumer can take at least the following steps:
STEP 1: Login to an existing account or create a new account
- Visit www.coveredca.com
- Click the “Login” button.
- If you have not already created an account, click “Set up an account.”
- Login to your account.
STEP 2: (Optional) Select Michael Grodsky/Artist Insurance Services as your agent representative (you’re still logged in, right?)
A. Click “Find Help Near You” in upper right corner.
B. Click the “Find Agents” button
C. Type “grodsky” in the ‘last name’ field
D. Click on your agent’s name (Michael Grodsky).
E. Michael’s information will display; click “Continue.”
F. Tick all 3 boxes and eSign, then click the “Confirm” Button.
G. You should see “Congratulations! Agent delegation successfully completed.” Click the “Close” button.
STEP 3: Begin your application
- Click the “Apply” button to start.
- Fill out all required information on the “Apply for Benefits” page and hit “Continue.” Page 1 contains two required fields (see application screen images online at http://news.coveredca.com/p/blog-page_26.html).
- After hitting “Continue,” individuals will be taken to the “Consent for Verification” page, where they need to click on “Save & Exit.”
- You must return to their online account no later than April 15 to complete the application and select a plan.
◆ If you don’t know what plan to choose, open a new browser window or tab, and use the Shop & Compare tool for plans and your rates: https://www.coveredca.com/shopandcompare/
◆ Check the in-network status of any preferred healthcare providers by calling your doctor’s office or using the provider search links below.
Things to know
• Deadline to apply is 15th of each month for an effective date on 1st of following month.
• Open Enrollment ends March 31, 2014.
If you have preferred doctors, use the links below to check if any are in-network. (Assurant and CIGNA plans are not available through Covered CA.)
- Anthem Blue Cross: https://www.anthem.com/ca/health-insurance/home/overview
- Assurant (off-exchange only): http://www.aetna.com/asa (Assurant uses the Aetna Signature Administrators PPO network)
- Blue Shield: https://www.blueshieldca.com/fap/app/search.html
- CIGNA (off-exchange only): http://www.cigna.com/web/public/hcpdirectory (Use “Local Access PPO” network for plan type)
- HealthNet: https://www.healthnet.com/portal/providerSearch.action
- Kaiser: https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/health/care/consumer/locate-our-services/doctors-and-locations
- LA Care HealthPlan: http://www.lacare.org/potentialmembers
- Molina HealthCare: http://www.molinahealthcare.com/members/ca/en-us/Pages/home.aspx
- UCLA: http://www.uclahealth.org/body.cfm?id=85
- Cedars-Sinai: http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patients/Insurance-Exchanges/index.aspx
- Keck Medicine of USC: http://www.keckmedicine.org/ (call 866-860-8964)
Health Care Options is the state agency that handles Medi-Cal enrollment. http://www.healthcareoptions.dhcs.ca.gov/
• Check application status: 1-800-752-6631 or 1-800-675-2607 (Covered California)
• Medi-Cal phone number: (800) 541-5555
• Health Care Options: 800-430-4263
• Medi-Cal Overview: http://www.coveredca.com/medi-cal/
• FAQ: Medi-Cal Managed Care HCO (Heath Care Options) program: http://bit.ly/1m4HMXM
• California Department of Social Services (CDSS)1-855-795-0634. Call if you have an immediate need for health services and a delay could seriously jeopardize your health.
Los Angeles County:
There are two Medi-Cal plans to choose from in Los Angeles County.
• Health Net Community Solutions, Inc. https://www.healthnet.com/portal/shopping/shp/mediCal.action
• LA Care Health Plan http://www.lacare.org/
Medi-Cal Provider Search
• Find a Medi-Cal Doctor or Dentist http://www.healthcareoptions.dhcs.ca.gov/HCOCSP/PIN/Default.aspx